An introduction to Rekordbox
As professional DJs ourselves, Rekordbox is a piece of music management software that we can most definitely vouch for.
And it’s not just us. The large majority of DJs coming through the doors of our DJ studio here in Shepherd’s Bush are more than well acquainted with Rekordbox.
So why is it so popular?
Well as a music management system, it takes away the inevitable headache from attempting to organise countless digital tracks. Plus it provides top-notch track analysis and preparation functionality so your DJing experience can be slick and stress-free.
Here is what you can expect from Rekordbox:
- Works with various setup styles and products, such as CDJs, XDJs, DJ controllers, and turntables.
- Allows for integrated management of multiple music libraries, so you can manage different types of media from your hard drive, cloud and streaming services all in one place.
- Libraries in the cloud can be accessed from multiple devices. So, when you set up cue points, edit grid information, or create a playlist on your mobile device while on the go, the changes are immediately reflected in your library in the cloud, which syncs with your Mac/Windows library to keep it up to date.
- An intuitive interface, high-quality sound, and slick design to maximise DJ performances - with high-quality audio processing equivalent to that of CDJs/DJMs, rekordbox delivers elite sound quality while offering rapid responsiveness and stable controls you can have confidence in.
- Highly accurate music analysis and quick-loading library - advanced analysis of all rhythmic patterns in each track to detect beat positions and instantly analyse phrases. Approximately 500 tracks/4 mins.
- Slick layout - the GUI is simplified and information is arranged to ensure easy visibility. This means you can instantly get a visual grasp of a variety of data, including track information and performance status.
Essentially, what this all means is:
1. You can create a personalised filing system for your music. For example, create folders and playlists for your sets and drag and drop the tracks you need, re-order and shuffle them as needed. We love using playlists for different styles and energy (eg. beginning set, peak set, closing) to help with playing on the fly.
2. Through Rekordbox’s track analysis capabilities, you can view the audio waveforms of each track, adjust the songs and their metadata, set cue points so you can play tracks from a specific point, and much more.
3. The Cloud Library Sync feature enables you to sync your libraries over multiple different devices, and prepare tracks with ease from whatever device you’re working from.
4. Rekordbox is compatible with all Pioneer DJ hardwore CDJ and XDJ models and controllers so for example, cue points you set on Rekordbox will be read on your gear.
Rekordbox offers both free and paid plans which include more features, depending on what you need.
Plans range from £0 to £299. Check them out here: https://rekordbox.com/en/plan/